Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Obama admits to drinking, drugs

I actually like Obama, definitely more than Hillary, but in my view, anybody running to be President of the United States, the leader of the free world, needs to be a role model for us and for our children. I recognize that people make mistakes in their younger days, but why would you speak publicly about it, especially to a group of high school students who are eager for any justification that they can find for drug use? I can almost hear angry teenagers across the country yelling back at their parents, "Well Barack Obama did it, and look where he's made it in life." Obama's comments are just ammo for these young people, and I don't think they belong in a presidential campaign.

-Elephant

P.S. Bush and Giuliani (and Bill Clinton, unless of course he didn't inhale) had some of the same habits in their younger days, and they're just as accountable. Hopefully none of them is going around the country speaking about their problems to high school students.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

If Obama is using his past experiences and mistakes to help today's youth avoid the same, then I say good for him. Its not like he's out there saying hey teenagers I drank so you should too! I think teens respond well to honesty and candor, probably much better then to leaders who never admit to making any mistake in the past, which of course is the hypocrisy which appears rampant in the Republican party, See e.g. Larry Craig. So if Obama is in fact speaking to high school students about his drinking, which I had not heard, then I wouldn't automatically assume the worst.

Additionally, his drinking and drug problems have been public for some time because he publicly chose to reveal them. That is what is refreshing about Obama, he is not a liar. Which is more then you can say about our last two presidents. And the value of honesty is one the free world really needs in its next leader.